After a very successful first Summit in Oct. 2018, The Plank Center’s second Summit on Diversity & Inclusion in Public Relations will be held Nov. 8, 2019, in Chicago in conjunction with the Center’s Milestones in Mentoring Gala. The Summit will showcase cutting-edge research, highlight organizations which are moving the D&I needle and feature individuals who have overcome D&I challenges. Attendees will gain actionable insights to implement within their own organizations.
This Summit offers a unique opportunity for diverse public relations students to gain professional insights and to see, hear from and network with other students and successful professionals from underrepresented groups.
Up to 10 students from underrepresented groups will receive scholarships to attend The Plank Center’s Summit and Milestones in Mentoring Gala. Applicants may be from any underrepresented group.
Each scholarship will include air travel to and from Chicago, one night’s stay (Nov. 7) at the Union League Club, one ticket to the Gala and one ticket to The Plank Summit, totaling an estimated $1,500.
Deadline Closed on May 15, 2019
- Must be a junior, senior or graduate student from an underrepresented group with limited opportunities for professional networking with diverse professionals.
- Must be attending an accredited four-year college or university in Fall 2019.
- Must be a major in public relations or related field.
- Membership in the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is preferred, not required.
- Must be studying to prepare for a career in public relations.
- A resume;
- A one-page nomination letter from a PR professor that describes how the applicant would benefit from this opportunity in terms of a future career in PR; and
- A YouTube link to a 2-minute or less personal video (.mov or .mp4 format) that describes how greater diversity and inclusion will improve the PR profession.
- Completed application.
- Commitment to public relations and the profession, particularly as expressed in the candidate’s personal video.
- Demonstrated leadership and professionalism.
- Understanding of diversity & inclusion in public relations.
- Letter of nomination.
- Quality writing skills throughout the application form.
- Top finalists will be contacted during the summer to set up a 10-minute interview with the judges.