The Plank Center for Leadership in Public Relations will honor the late public relations legend, Betsy Plank, by hosting a national celebration, #BetsyPlank Day, on April 6. For the fourth consecutive year, we are celebrating the life and legacy of Betsy Plank, the First Lady of public relations and the “Godmother of PRSSA.” Her contributions to the industry, example of leadership and passion for students have shaped the definition of success in the field today.
Betsy Day will involve a national social media campaign using #BetsyPlank Day. Students, educators and professionals are invited to interact online from now throughout #BetsyPlank Day. The celebration does not end there. We will continue throughout the entire month of April.
Download the complete interactive #BetsyPlank Tool Kit (PDF) with details on how you or your organization can be involved. (PDF)
PRSSA Chapters & PR Organizations
Get your PRSSA Chapter or PR organization in the game! Follow these steps, and your organization just might win the grand prize of four Skype sessions with Board members of your choice.
- Have your Chapter gather to watch the Betsy Plank tribute video at your next meeting. Snap a selfie, and tweet it to @PlankCenterPR using the #BetsyPlank.
- In Betsy-esque fashion, come up with an innovative way to promote Betsy Plank Day at your college or university by volunteering on campus or in your community! How you achieve this is up to you; the more creative, the better. Tweet your idea in action to @PlankCenterPR using #BetsyPlank and submit a summary detailing how your chapter incorporated Betsy Plank’s love for volunteering on your campus or community to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bring Betsy to your classroom: show her tribute video, share a quote, watch her interviews, and display infographics (link) from her most famous speeches. Tweet us at @PlankCenterPR with #BetsyPlank to show how your class celebrated the day!
Celebrate Betsy Plank Day by:
- Tweeting your favorite #BetsyPlank memory to @PlankCenterPR. Snap and tweet a selfie while watching the Betsy Plank tribute video.
- Share your favorite Betsy quote with your followers.
- Show your love for Betsy and change your profile picture to this image.
It’s hard to acknowledge #BetsyPlank in one day, so we are celebrating throughout the month. Here are more chances to celebrate in April. Tweet us @PlankCenterPR using #BetsyPlank.
April 3: Betsy’s Birthday Bash
- Celebrate what would have been Betsy Plank’s 93rd birthday by wearing your favorite shade of pink or red.
April 6: #BetsyPlank Day
- Reflect on Betsy Plank’s legacy by participating in the competition (see above) or showing the love on social media.
April 12: Mentor Like #BetsyPlank
- Celebrate your mentoring experience by sharing your best advice.
April 19: Lead Like #BetsyPlank
- Do you take the lead? Tell us about your leadership tips, lessons, advice and inspirations.
April 24: Network Like #BetsyPlank
- Share your best networking tips, tricks and tales.
April 27: Volunteer Like #BetsyPlank
- Have you or your organization given back? We want to hear about your contributions to your community.