As the leading international resource on leadership for public relations practitioners, educators and students, The Plank Center recognizes and promotes the critical role mentors play in helping to develop leaders and advance the profession. In 2010 the Center established the “Milestones in Mentoring Awards” to honor leaders throughout the profession who, by word and deed, have demonstrated a superior commitment to mentoring others, and who are committed to accelerating the success of others in the field.
Date: October 25, 2018
Time: 5:30 – 9:00 p.m. (Reception, Dinner & Awards Ceremony)
Location: Union League Club, Chicago
Save your seat: Sponsor a Table or Purchase your Tickets*
*Please download sponsorship packet to your computer, complete form and press submit to generate an automatic return email. The Plank Center will follow up with an invoice and/or receipt.
Meet the 2018 Honorees
Congratulations to the following mentors who are so deserving of this recognition:
- Legacy: Bob Feldman, Partner & Co-founder, PulsePoint Group
- Corporate: Bob Jimenez, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communication & Administrative Services, Cox Enterprises
- Agency: Dale Bornstein, CEO, M Booth
- Educator: Cathy Rogers, Ph.D., APR, Shawn M. Donnelley Professor of Nonprofit Communications, Loyola University New Orleans
- Emerging Leader: Eric Winkfield, Public Affairs Manager, Pepco, an Exelon Company
- Executive: Gregg Sherrill, Executive Chairman, Tenneco
- Betsy Plank: Tom Burrell, Founder, Burrell Communications Group
About the Awards
The Awards are presented at a dinner held each fall in Chicago. Honorees are selected in six categories by their peers, the “Milestones in Mentoring” Host Committee or The Plank Center Advisory Board:
- Legacy: Recognizes individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to mentoring others and who, through their mentoring, have touched the lives of countless public relations professionals over the course of their distinguished and exceptional careers.
- Agency: Recognizes agency leaders who have been outstanding mentors in an agency setting or consulting role.
- Emerging Leader: Honors young professionals who are up-and-coming leaders and already paying it forward, while also providing reverse mentorship to more senior professionals.
- Educator: Honoring Dr. Bruce K. Berger, Professor Emeritus, Advertising and Public Relations Department, The University of Alabama, this award recognizes individuals who are, or have been, full-time educators who through mentoring have touched the lives and careers of countless students, whether in the classroom, in student-run firms and pre-professional societies (e.g., PRSSA) and/or in scholarly endeavors.
- Corporate: The Jack Koten Corporate Mentoring Award honors this influential public relations leader, and recognizes individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to mentoring others. Honorees’ professional public relations roles have been internal to the organizations they support, and could include positions in corporate, military or non-profit entities.
- Executive: recognizes non-public relations executives who make mentoring part of their leadership strategy, who encourage active mentoring at all levels of their organizations, and who recognize the critical role public relations professionals play in the organizations’ success.
- Betsy Plank: The Betsy Plank Mentoring Award honors exemplary professionals who are in a class by themselves. This award is given only to those who have demonstrated a lifetime commitment to mentoring and have had a profound impact on others, who in turn, have gone on to generate influence and foster relationships with their organization, community and profession.
We’ve had the privilege of honoring 56 professionals who have mentored countless generations of public relations professionals. Get to know our honorees.