Diana has nearly 15 years of professional public relations and communications work in broadcasting, health care and national government programs. She worked as public affairs director of a radio station, a program associate for public relations in the West Virginia School of Medicine, and as managing editor for the National Drinking Water Clearinghouse.
Diana serves on the editorial review boards of several leading public relations and communications academic journals. She has held national committee and/or officer positions in the Public Relations Society of America and the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. In 2011 she won the WVU Foundation Outstanding Teaching Award and the AEJMC Mass Communication and Society Educator Award. She received a West Virginia PRSA Crystal Award in 1998.
Diana’s research explores health communication and women’s role in public relations. She regularly gives public relations and communications seminars to government, professional and academic audiences and has secured or been part of grant projects totaling more than $1.1 million.
Diana joined the Board of Advisors of The Plank Center in 2012.
Diana has a BSJ and MSJ from the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, West Virginia University, and a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
More from Dr. Diana Martinelli:
- Plank Legends & Leaders Interview
- Infographic: 10 Tips for Academic & Professional Success
- Webinar: Becoming a PR Leader: The Art and Science of Mentorship
- Mentoring Research and Best Practices White Paper
- Mentorship Guide
- Research: Public Relations Leadership Development Cycle: A Cross-Cultural Perspective
- News: Formation of Diversity & Inclusion Committee